Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Your plans have been cancelled.....Sincerly, GOD.

Hello All!!!

I have spent the last 10 mintues or so looking over my previous posts. I must say that I ended 2009 on a positive note. I finally finished pharmacy school and couldn't be happier. I celebrated New Year's with my DC peeps and brought 2010 in with a bang. But by January 11th, I would get a taste of what the first 6 months or so of this year has in store for me.

On January 11th I lost my job. I wasn't sweating that because it was time for a change. I felt like my body had been cleansed of some type of virus that was slowly killing me. I remember asking God for a break where I didn't have to go to work or school, just some time to myself. I haven't had that sort of break since the summer of 1994 when I was 13 years old. My mom always had me in some type of summer program from then on. And once I finished high school, I immediately started college that summer (2 weeks after my high school graduation) and got a job so I was due for a break. I must say that that break came earlier than expected but God makes no mistakes.

I also did some saving which is a total surprise to me. My shopping trips can be fierce! I started the process of becoming a licensed pharmacist. For the state that I am intending to practice in, this process has 3 parts. I passed the Oral English Equivalency Exam in early January. This exam ensures that I can speak English so in case someone has a question they can understand clearly the point I (the pharmacist) am trying to get across. That exam wasn't bad so I had a real confidence boost once the results came back in my favor.

In early February I took the Pharmacy Law portion of my boards. That exam was hard as hell and I swore that I had failed it but lo and behold I passed it with a good score! I went to Miami in the middle of the month to interview for a pharmacy residency position and to celebrate my accomplishments. That was a horrible interview! I was asked about some projects I had done which should have been easy to talk about but my mind froze and I fumbled through that interview like I was a 1st year pharmacy student instead of a newly christianed Doctor of Pharmacy. I was so embarrased.

So to forget that interview I went clubbing and sightseeing. Unfortunantly it was cold in Florida. It was like 45 to 50 degrees. I didn't know it got cold in South Florida! I had brought my bathing suit and short sleeved polo shirts and the such. I was so disappointed with the weather. I hung out on Miami Beach and I went to Club Score where I partied my ass off like I was back at the Bachelor's Mill. The music was cute and so were the boys. I celebrated being free from school, free from work, and passing the first two portions of my board exams.



I took this picture once I stumbled out of Club Score in the wee hours of the morning. Doesn't it look warm? After a couple of cute drinks at Score, I was warm too. I met two boys while I was there. One at the club and an italian guy online. Mr. Italian payed me a visit before I left and he had a long and thick surprise for me. You don't expect packages like that on a white boy. Lets just say that we warmed Florida back up before I got back on the plane.

Three days before my 29th birthday I took the last exam for licensing. It was also hard as hell but I was confident that I had passed. It was 185 questions on the most random subjects and was 5 hours long. The results came back in about a week, after my drag mother Diamond called the board to find out what was taking so long to post scores. I scored a 72. The passing score is 75. To say the least, I was absolutely devastated. Per regulations I have to wait 3 months before I can take it again meaning June 2nd is the earliest that I can retake that exam. Everyone told me not to be disappointed. Two of my pharmacist friends tried to cheer me up. One said she took the exam 4 times before she passed it and the other 3 times before she passed. That definintely didn't ease my pain. That exam cost me $690 and I don't have money like that to continuously give away.

I had planned on being fully licensed by mid March with a job in hand by the end of March. I had planned on flying my parents up for graduation in May and putting them in a swanky DC hotel. I had planned on a big graduation celebration. I had planned on going to New York Pride in June, the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans in July, Atlanta Pride in September and moving back south before the year is over. I had planned on finally living it up. Now I am unsure about my future and look to the horizon with uncertainty.

I have worked long and hard (no pun intended) to make something of myself and once again I find myself unable to reap the benefits. God did work it out where I do at least have monies for rent and bills through the month of June. I don't know what his plan is but I trust that he will work it out. I thought about getting a job to have some extra money but at this point I don't have the energy to put in for a job search. I really want to concentrate all my time and energy on passing this test in June. I'll give the job thing another thought in about a month.

So with that news I took a couple of days to sulk, complain about "why me", grew a full beard and stopped eatting. I decided it was time for a trip and went back to a place where I am loved for just being plain 'ol me. I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment