Thursday, March 26, 2009

When I look back......

Did you guys see tonight's Making the Band. Q got some serious problemes going on mentally. I like how they sort of had an intervention which seemed to make things worse. But when those boys started crying it truly touched a nerve in me. I boo hooed like they were my family. For that show of emotion they all can get a hug and some head, lol. I once heard that a man thinks about sex every 13 seconds. Thats more like 7 with me, lol.

But to the reason for this post, I am truly a blessed person. As I said earlier in my posts, I am in my final year of pharmacy school. Yesterday, I went to Grand Rounds. For those of you not in the medical community thats where the head of each department gets together to discuss a topic. The topic yesterday was Thrombocytopenia Purpura. During the discussion, my mind drifted. You know a girl like me can only pay attention during sex. Anyway, I looked around the room and saw the head of the Cardiology Department, HEENT (head, eyes, ears, nose, throat) Hematology, several other attending physicians, residents, interns, medical students, etc. And it hit me, how the fuck did I get here??

I grew up in the backwoods of Alabama. My home town has 2 traffic lights ( 1 thats is always out) and 2 grocery stores. There are 2 CVS pharmacies in the entire county. My high school held grades 8-12. Now it holds grades 7-12. My high school was on state academic probation the whole time I was there. I lived in a mobile home (trailer) on a dirt road from grades 5-12. The school bus wouldn't even come down the damn road. I had to walk down this dirt road to the entrance to catch the bus. I was always running late chasing behind that damn bus. That lateness has carried over into adulthood, lol. I don't wake up beautiful honey, that takes some work! No one in my immediate family have ever gone past high school if that far. Only 1 pereson in my immediate family makes over $25,000/year. I was born out of wedlock to a seamstress and a mechanic. Where did this brain come from?

So here I am, in our nations capitol, a student at the premeir HBCU in the country, about to graduate with a PharmD degree (Doctor of Pharmacy) this December, at a world class teaching hospital, doing a clinical rotation in internal medicine. I always considered myself an old ditzy blonde cunt, but daily I am proven to be something other than that. Today we had Drug Info Rounds. We were to meet in the Pharmacy department at 12:30 but once again I was late. Got there at 12:40. So of course the good seats were taken making me have to sit directly to the left of the Chariman of the Department. So guess who got the bulk of the questions?? My ass!!!

But it truly amazes me to know answers to medical questions. What is HIT? Heparin induced Thrombocytopenia. What are the components of Zosyn? Piperacillin and Tazobactam. Does the Tazobactam component have antimicrobial activity? No. What microbes does Zosyn cover? Its broad spectrum. Where did I pick this shit up?? Why does someone who has been practicing medicine for as long as I've been alive want my opinion? Why am I only 1 of 2 black students in the room? Why am I the only black male here? Where are my fag hags, lol.

Do you all know ER is about to go off TV? I've been watching that since 1994. That show got me intersted in medicine. Yeah, I know that was random, lol.

Everyday I become more comfortable professionally. I become more confident in my decision making. I become more confident in my abilities. I can hold my head up when giving answers. Shit, they even gave me 3 patients with diagnosis ranging from HIV to end stage renal disease. (Kidney Failure)

Damn, God is good and he truly works in the most mysterious of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment