I've had 5 jobs in my life. My first job was in an automotive shop. I was the service writer. That job lasted a month. Then I cashiered at one of the retail giants. That job lasted almost two years. Then I got my first pharmacy job at that same retail giant. That lasted about a year. I moved on to another pharmacy. That job lasted 2 months then I was snatched up by another pharmacy for a pay raise of
$.50. Yes I know that's not much but more money is always better. That job lasted 6 years.
The funny thing about these jobs is that I truly only interviewed for 1 of them, at the automotive shop. For me, an interview consists of me dressing up, preparing a resume, and sitting down to talk to the hiring manager about pay rates, benefits, schedule, etc. For the cashier job and my first pharmacy job, I just transferred departments. For the second pharmacy job, I talked to someone over the phone about a possible position and was told to show up ready for training. For the job that lasted 6 years it went like this. Do you want a job? Me: Yes. Them: Show up on Monday for a drug test and training.
I don't know how I got so lucky at landing jobs.
So a week ago, I formally had the second job interview of my life. I didn't even wear a tie. I was slightly nervous but once I started talking with the owner of this independent pharmacy all that nervousness went directly out the window. The first thing the guy said to me was, "Come in, have a seat but don't sit on that pillow, one of technicians wasted water on it." I knew then that I would fit right in. He explained that he needed someone full time, explained some of the problems he was having with the part-timers, explained what is done on a daily basis, then offered me the job. He glanced over my resume and we only talked about one of the clinical rotations I had done at school which was my favorite one at the long term care pharmacy. It had to be some kind of act of GOD for him to pick out my favorite rotation out of the 8 I did to ask about. We chatted a bit about the job I had for 6 years and why I didn't stay with them. He must have liked me and my responses because within 30 minutes he was making plans to add me to the schedule.
He wanted me to work on Friday for 6 hours as the pharmacist. He said I would be trained for 3 and a half hours then I would be alone with only a technician. The old me would have said that's a bit much but the out of work for the past 6 months me said OK. The other thing odd about this interview is that he kept being interrupted and had to repeatedly go out to talk to someone or do something. I had to remind him everytime he came back of what we were talking about. That was hilarious!! I was so happy to have a job that I didn't ask about pay or benefits. I want at least $50 per hour. He wants to start me off part time then talk again before I start full time. If the board doesn't quickly send my license I am going to have to ask him to let me start full time just to have rent money for August. My money situation is tight. I have not paid not one June bill other than the rent. And I only have rent for July. They can turn everything off if they want too but I'm going to have a roof over my head.
Anyway, I had to tell him that I didn't yet have my license. I had only known that I had passed my exam for 5 days. When he told the pharmacist who wanted to be off on Friday, she didn't look happy. I still ended up coming in on Friday for training. She was nice and was pulling me all over the place. The computer software is badly out of date. You have to check all prescriptions by hand and when doing refills you only check to make sure the drug is correct. What if a pharmacist made a mistake the first time? Since I am not seeing the prescription at every refill that mistake will happen over and over. I don't like that. There is also no way to check for interactions using their software and the technicians tell the people coming in that their prescription will be ready in 5 minutes. So what if the pharmacy is not busy? So what if they fill about 50 prescriptions a day? I also noticed that the customer's come in in spurts, when they first open, then around noon, then in the late afternoon. Other than that, its pretty laid back in there and easy going. You still have some assholes that call in but the technician seems to be able to handle that quite well.
I do love the hours at this job---8:30AM to 6PM Monday through Friday and no weekends. That's the best thing.
I didn't have the heart to tell the owner that I plan on moving back south in about a year. He really wants someone who is going to be there. He said he had been there for 26 years and wanted to go out to get more contracts and possibly expand. The other pharmacist has been there about 20 years and wants to spend more time with her family. They have alot of part timers for which they have been running into problems: mistakes, missing drugs, etc. That's really why he wants someone full time. I needed a job and needed it badly. Even in today's economy, pharmacist are having a hard time getting a job.
Even though this is not my ideal job, I think its going to be good. The hours are great, the people seem ok and the customers are not difficult and at least they all have insurance that works and a card to show for it. I'm loving that.
So, I am spending my last few days with the biggest smile on my face. I am getting ready to finally start enjoying life. I have already picked out a BMW that I want!!!
Smoochies!!!!!
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment